A case study in best practice approach to document management.
The law firm provided ELMS with a USB containing a series of loose documents and PST files (emails). It was originally estimated that there could be as much as 10Gb of data on the USB.
ELMS were engaged to manage the documents using Nuix Discover
ELMS ingested the documents into Nuix Discover to establish an initial set of 5,070 documents which had been provided by the client to the lawyers for review on the USB.
On ingestion, the volume of data ended up being only 2Gb (not the 10Gb originally estimated) which meant the cost was straight away going to be less than the original estimate.
In around 3 hours or time and in under a day overall, ELMS were able to reduce the documents requiring legal review down to 1,007:
- deduplication removed 3,865 documents;
- 77 documents were identified as technical summary files that did not need review;
- 153 junk files were identified including logos and social emails.
- 33 documents, which had had their metadata date altered in the collection process, were manually objectively coded to the date on the face of the document so the database was accurate and ready for review and ultimately to produce a list of documents for disclosure in chronological order;
- 25 meeting request files were bundled together to be read in order to speed up the review.
The lawyers were then personally trained to review the remaining 1,007 documents for relevance in Nuix Discover.
Benefits of applying Nuix Discover
This approach reduced the number of documents needing to be reviewed by the lawyers from 5,070 to 1,007.
Assuming a review rate of 60 documents per hour, that is a reduction from 84.5 hours of review time to 16.78 hours or to put it another way, from around 10 days to 2 days. If the hourly rate for that work was being charged at $200 the savings in legal review time have already exceeded $10,000.
ELMS fees to get to this point were less than $1,000. Ongoing monthly hosting fees for the data will be around $60 per month and the document wet was made ready for the lawyers to review in less than a day.
Going forward, the documents are also now in a database which can quickly and easily produce the list of documents for exchange and handle the other side’s documents for review.